Having a Radon test performed at your home? Please read the following important information
An important step is being taken to confirm the healthy conditions of your home, and it is important that the required test conditions be maintained. Any test interference that is detected will be documented in the report, and may nullify the test results.
For a short-term Radon test, “Closed House Conditions” must be maintained -- both during the Test Period of 48 hours, as well as the 12 hours prior to the start of the test. You will be advised of the exact timing of the testing, which may vary depending on the type of testing being done. As specified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the following conditions must be met prior to and during the test period.
- CLOSED BUILDING CONDITIONS MUST BE MAINTAINED throughout the test period and for 12 hours prior to the initiation of the test.
- All windows, exterior doors, garage door(s) and crawlspace door must be closed 12 hours before the start and during the entire test period. Momentary entry and exit through doors is acceptable, except for lower level walkout doors, or those sealed with anti-tamper tape. Lower level walkout doors and those sealed with anti-tamper tape are not to be opened until the test device is retrieved by our Inspector.
- Whole house fans, window fans, window air conditioners must not be used for 12 hours before the start of the test or during the entire test period. Regular use of HVAC (heat/air) is permissible during the testing. Ceiling or any other type of room fan should not be used on the level of the home that is being tested.
- Fireplaces or wood burning stoves may not be used, unless they are the only source of heat available.
- Occupants should avoid excessive operation of clothes dryers, range hoods, bathroom fans and other mechanical systems that draw air out of the building.
- Radon test devises must not be moved or tampered with during the test period.
- Access to the home by contractors or others should not be scheduled during the test period.
If this is for a real estate transaction, you will be asked to sign the following:
I AGREE TO MAINTAIN THE REQUIRED CONDITIONS FOR 12 HOURS PRIOR TO, AND DURING THE ENTIRE TEST PERIOD.
I AGREE TO NOTIFY INSPECTOR AND/OR BUYERS AGENT BY EMAIL, WITHIN 6 HOURS OF END OF TEST PERIOD, IF THERE IS ANY REASON TO BELIEVE THE TEST CONDITIONS WERE NOT MAINTAINED OR TEST RESULTS MIGHT BE COMPROMISED.
TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE, THE REQUIRED CONDITIONS WERE MAINTAINED FOR 12 HOURS PRIOR TO, AND DURING THE ENTIRE TEST PERIOD.
If you have any questions about the testing or protocol outlined above, please feel free to contact us.